Thursday, November 08, 2012

Two weeks till Black Friday

Well, it's Thursday, but the giant shopping day Black Friday is also two weeks away, given that Walmart is moving Black Friday even earlier on Thanksgiving, starting doorbusters at 8 pm instead of 10 pm. That news may have been why Black Friday was trending on Twitter this morning, or (and strangely I found this out from the local morning talk show Windy City Live on ABC 7), this story of a possible strike. Intriguing...


I of course have to give Picture Black Friday a mention again (even if it's a contest and I selfishly don't want to tell other people about contests they could enter). It's one of the things that kicked off my obsession of the past few years of photographing shopping malls.

In 2010 I went to Chicago suburbs--my first visit to Orland Square Mall. In 2011 St. Louis suburbs--my first visit to Saint Louis Galleria, and a pleasant visit to downtown Belleville, IL. In 2012, if in Chicago I have some ideas. If visiting my family in central Iowa, oddly it might end up being my first chance to see an entire college football game in person (and college hockey that night), plus whatever stores I can get to.

I'd recently learned of a mystery/thriller called Black Friday (Alex Kava, 2010). Book description from Amazon:
"On the busiest shopping day of the year, a group of idealistic college students believe they're about to carry out an elaborate media stunt at the largest mall in America. They think the equipment in their backpacks will disrupt stores' computer systems, causing delays and chaos, disrupting capitalism, if only for a moment.
What they don't realize is that instead of jamming devices, their backpacks contain explosives. And they're about to become unwitting suicide bombers.
FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell must put her own political troubles aside to work with Nick Morrelli and figure out who's behind this terrorist plot—a massacre that's all the more frightening when a tip reveals that Maggie's brother is one of the doomed protestors."

Um, wow.

I went to Amazon tonight to look up the title Black Friday and there are many novels and nonfiction books with that name or variations thereof. Mostly not referring to the shopping day (some are about the financial scandal of 1869), but I did find this:


Sure, a little reading before I head out to photograph November 23.

No comments: