Saturday, July 26, 2008

A brief follow-up

I don't like having depressing posts like the previous one at the top of the page, so here's something else. (I meant to fill this post in with the story of my park bicycling trip, but still haven't figured out how to rotate photos to post vertical ones [I'm posting from my files, not Flickr], and the Blogger help is no help. So I changed it again.) I stand by what I said in that post but edited a little bit of it. Oh, and the incident I referred to was being badly harrassed on the street in Detroit, more on that Detroit trip later. Here's a photo of the fantastic pancakes I mentioned making Thursday; they were just as good Friday (I had half the batter left). But Friday ended up being a frightening replay of Thursday (feeling lousy, not getting out of the house till after 4) but the weekend's improved. These pancakes were my first try of the basic pancake recipe in the cookbook Vegan With a Vengeance. I added a cup of fresh blackberries (the package was 33 cents at Stanley's grocery!) and since I hadn't had money to buy many groceries, like soymilk, last week, instead I used soy faux-eggnog I'd had in the pantry. That way I didn't have to add any nutmeg or cinnamon to the batter. I've made many, many pancakes, both nonvegan (buttermilk is a fave) and vegan, and this turned out the best ever, which bodes well for trying more recipes from a cookbook I've neglected. This breakfast, with fresh peaches and real maple syrup, would surely cost you $7-10 at the trendy brunch places in Chicago (though the pancakes would probably be bigger). That reminds me, I haven't checked the Illinois Pancakes blog in a while...

3 comments:

Eric Allix Rogers said...

You're using Mac OS X, right? Are you using iPhoto to manage photos? If so, check the iPhoto help, or just look through the menus - there are rotate commands there.

If you aren't using iPhoto, look in the Applications folder for a program called Preview. Launch that, and open the images you want to rotate. Then I believe apple+R or apple+L, or commands in the Tools menu, will rotate the images. After you rotate in Preview, you have to save them, using the File menu.

Hope this helps!

Winters said...

OK those look good, mind sharing the recipe?

k of c said...

It's page 31 of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbook, Vegan With a Vengeance--I probably shouldn't put someone else's recipe up, and I don't know if it's online! I did one of the variations listed, but blackberries instead of blueberry.

Eric, I'm going to test that now...