Wednesday, October 31, 2007

On the internet, no one knows


Ever have one of those nights...
Originally uploaded by katherine of chicago

...when you're using ironic distance. At least it's not always clear. A friend and I have been guilty of some silly/cutesy/flirty stuff going on across our MySpace pages; I think he started it but I upped the ante considerably by directly calling myself "teenager-ish" and putting Unrest's 1993 "Make Out Club" on my page. I seriously couldn't resist; that's a song that energizes me to this day, but I did intend it ironically (mostly). Anyway, I'm trying to dial things down there and on Flickr (and as always I avoid PDAs in "real life"); I don't especially like seeing people act half their age like this. Part of the intended irony here is that I didn't get to act this way when I WAS a teenager, at least not until after high school. And anyone who's known me a while knows I went through my most severe/dangerous teen-angst-ish phase in my late 20s...perhaps I'm coming out of it and just getting to some of the good stuff now.

Anyway, I went to bed feeling embarrassed, because of that, and because for the first time EVER my downstairs neighbor knocked on my door to ask if I could turn down the music (11:30 p.m., Quasi, not playing that loud, but sound really carries into the hallway). No problem, it just amuses me coming from the neighbors who've had crazy screaming fights (at 7 a.m., 7 p.m., later, other times in between) on and off for many months, with plenty of door-slamming and object-throwing. I debated whether I should blog anything about it, but I will just to put this photo up. See, often things were so loud downstairs I thought a car must have crashed into the building. Then in February, I got home (on the CTA) from a very nice second date...and saw a car had crashed into the building. (Neighbors had nothing to do with it.)

No comments: