Sunday, August 28, 2005

happy news or not

These are supposed to be happy times and all: I just planned/hosted my first event at Quimby's Bookstore in Chicago, I'm meeting all kinds of people who do cool stuff and maybe like what I'm doing, my birthday is this Monday, I've had my 10-year anniversary of living in Chicago, I just had the one-year anniversary of the first experience I'd label as "casual sex" (hmm, I don't think I'll be posting about that here--but look for details in City of Destiny, the book!), Thursday I got another cute haircut and after 10 years continuously dyeing my hair I'm growing the natural color back (what will it be?! we're all in such suspense!), I might be hosting a new reading series if I didn't have so many freaking computer problems preventing me from ever getting to my email to set the damn thing up, I'll be reading at Quimby's next week (9/3) as the "local guest" part of the Perpetual Motion Roadshow...

...and I can deal with minor, it-had-to-happen-eventually indignities like a guy I dated (years ago) apparently not recognizing me, last night at Quimby's (but then I realized earlier today, I'd also seen him at Fireside Bowl nearly 2 years ago and he didn't notice me then. This time I tried to get his attention, though, and shortly before he left did talk to him)...

...but 3 days before your birthday--that's just the WRONG TIME for the first (and it'd better be the last) time you've experienced someone breaking into your place and going through your stuff in a weird, invasive way, and...

well, I'll write more later.

No comments: