Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Rust Belt Gingerbread Spectacular 2009!



As good a time as any to explain what photos I post here and which I post on my Flickr pages. (This discussion takes place in the alternate universe where I've actually been posting 2-4 photoblogs a week here, not the real one where I'm so overwhelmed by the 1000+ photos I often take a week that I barely know where to start...) On Flickr I post images "artistic" enough to stand alone, and/or images that document an event or place I think needs to be documented in a way that will allow people to 1) easily search for it on Flickr 2) conveniently comment on it.

But photos that group well together and/or tell a story work well here (may include ones I've posted or will post to Flickr)...and that means I put some here that I don't quite want to "waste" space on Flickr for. Such as, well, a Stanley Cup in gingerbread, as you'll see later. Interesting enough to post, but I'm not putting a gingerbread Stanley Cup on Flickr unless it's one I make myself when--oh, you know when.



The first set of photos was taken in the Tower City shopping center in downtown Cleveland, after 7 a.m. on Sat. Dec. 5, after an overnight ride from Chicago on Megabus, long before the stores opened. Needless to say, this gingerbread display was a tad eerie at that hour.








After a Greyhound ride through Akron and Youngstown, both of which I once again really wished I could explore for real, I was in Pittsburgh, with all afternoon to kill in lousy weather before heading to Mellon Arena. I'd thought of going to the Heinz History Museum, but all the holiday displays downtown were tempting, especially when I saw a huge gingerbread structure exhibit. A lot of it was in window displays across from the ice rink and Christmas tree, while some was indoors with an impressive model train layout running through it.



LOTS of sports...here's PNC Park, where the Pirates play

 

And a Steelers fan



And where the Steelers play



Out of gingerbread, someone made...giant non-gingerbread cookies. Ridiculous? Brilliant?



The window display had a few trains running by



And a gingerbread trolley



And...yes. "Hail to the Chief"



And there's the Stanley Cup! But I didn't see a gingerbread Mellon Arena



But there's PPG Place, where the exhibit was



For comparison...



The Titanic? Wow. Okay, time to see the indoor display...



 "Christmas at McDonald's"



This was pretty nice



PPG Place again, this time more realistic


Gingerbread White House, with Santa stuck in the chimney



A diner! And other architecture, beautifully done



Gingerbread trains!



Real trains! Er, real model trains. This one, a streamliner, was my favorite.

No comments: