Friday, June 17, 2005

off to AMC

I apologize for the infrequency and boringness of this blog. But, on the bright side, I promise to not make any more remarks about people not leaving comments. (Unless this was a popular blog and lots of people left comments, then suddenly, hardly anyone did. Then I'd say something.)

After 5 years, I'm finally getting to go to the Allied Media Conference in Bowling Green, Ohio. (It used to be called the Underground Publishing [or Press?] Conference.) I've very much wanted to go, but never seemed to be in touch with anyone going, or couldn't make it for whatever reason. And there's always lots of Chicagoans going; there are always Chicagoans doing workshops, so theoretically, I've always had a chance at a ride. One year some people I knew promised to take a big box of flyers and a sign-up sheet I had (related to my previous political work) and I packaged it all beautifully and then they forgot to come by and pick it up. That was 2 or 3 years ago, and I don't think I ever said anything.

The people who've said they've seen this blog are probably going to the conference anyway, so it's not like I need to post this urgently.

So I'll be missing: an art auction/party-type thing someone I knew from school is having; events at Quimby's Fri. and Sat. (a book on Chicago dive bars--get it, it's entertaining!; a tribute to mix tapes); a chance to be a movie extra; the Puerto Rican parade in Humboldt Park (and the downtown one); the Finger open mike at Early to Bed (always great). But I'll finally be at AMC, and with my own little table for my zines and stickers.

*****
What I want to write about: a sad story involving a former firefighter and author of books on Chicago fires, who's been accused of arson; the sudden closing (Mon. 6/20) of maybe my favorite Chicago coffeeshop, Cafe Boost; controversy over the artist who did a photo shoot jumping off the Museum of Contemporary Art; books I've read and will be reading...
And there's the other 10 or so blog entries I've been planning for weeks now... (I never even wrote Version Fest Part II!)

2 comments:

the proprietor said...

Yeah, what's your problem??? You didn't finish your Version Fest entry. You'd better take care of that -- if only to document, years from now when I'm famous, that you met me "way back when" at Version! lol

Jim W said...

ahh! i was in cafe boost for the first time the day before it closed. i used to live in edgewater.

small world.

]this is jim, as in, the dude who drove you home t multnomah village. :-)]